• The tillage operations that are carried out in the standing crop are called after tillage.
• Collectively, the cultivation practices taken up after sowing of crop is called inter-cultivation.
• It otherwise called as after operation or inter-culturing.
• It facilitates good aeration, and better development of root system.
Broadly, there are three Inter-cultivation practices: Thinning and gap filling, weeding and hoeing and earthing up.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD=> Agri Exam Important Agriculture Mcq Pdf Download
Thinning and Gap Filling:
• The objective of thinning and gap filling process is to maintain optimum plant population.
• Thinning is the removal of excess plants leaving healthy seedlings.
• Gap filling is done to fill the gaps by sowing of seeds or transplanting of seedlings in gap where early sown seed had not germinated.
• It is a simultaneous process.
• Normally, these are practiced a week after sowing to a maximum of 15 days. In dryland agriculture, gap filling is done first.
Weeding and Hoeing:
• Weeding is the process of eliminating competition of unwanted plants to the regular crop in respect to nutrition and moisture. So that https://sildenafilhealth.com crops can be grown profitably. It also facilitates other operations like irrigation and fertilizer application.
• Weeding and hoeing is simultaneous operation.
• Hoeing is disturbing the top soil by small hand tools which helps in aerating the soil.
• It is the process of putting the earth or soil just near the base for certain crops like Sugar cane, Cassava, Papaya, Potato, etc. to give support to the plants.
• Sugarcane, Papaya, Banana – To avoid lodging
• Cassava, Potato – To provide more soil volume for the growth of tubers. Vegetables – To facilitate irrigation.
• It is carried out in wide spaced and deep-rooted crops.
• It is done around 6-8 weeks after sowing / planting in sugarcane, tapioca, banana, etc.
- Agriculture MCQ with Explanation Important For Competitive Exams Part-3
- General Agriculture Pdf 2016-018 Download Very Important For Competitive Exam ,IBPS,NABARD,IRMA,JRF,SRF,BHU,ICAR..
- Agriculture MCQ For Competitive Exam
- Agriculture One Liner For Competitive exam-61
- Agriculture MCQ with Explanation Important For Competitive Exams Part-5