The branch of science, which deals with the study of various breeds of domesticated animals and their management for obtaining better products and services from them is known as Animal Husbandry. The term husbandry derives from the word “husband” which means ‘one who takes care’. When it incorporates the study of proper utilisation of economically important domestic animals, it is called Livestock.
Different Categories of Animals
Wild –Those that breed better where they are free than they do when they are
captivated. They have no common use for humans. Example Lion, Tiger, Rhinoceres,
Tamed – Those, which are caught from the wild and trained to be useful to humans
in some way. Elephant, Chimpanzee, Gorilla, Yak etc.
Domesticated – Those that are of use at home and are easily bred and looked after
by humans. Common domesticated animals are dog, horse, cow, sheep, buffalo,
Importance of domestic animals
On the basis of utility, domestic animals are categorised into the following
1. Milk giving animals Cattle, buffalo, goat, sheep etc.
2. Draught (used for load Bullock, horse, donkey, mule,
bearing) animals camel, elephant, yak etc.
3. Fibre, hide and skin yielding Sheep, goat, cattle, buffalo, camel etc.
4. Meat and egg yielding animals Fowl (hen) and duck, goat, buffalo, pig etc.
MILK AND MEAT YIELDING ANIMALS
Depending upon the availability and regional considerations different animals are
reared for the purposes of yielding milk and meat in India. India is the world’s
largest producer of milk. The majority of the milk consumed is also in liquid form
in India. Over 53% of milk produced in India is from the water buffalo and a
majority of milk processing plants in the country depend upon buffalo milk.
The National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) is the main agency behind the
cooperative movement in India. India is now seeking joint ventures and financial
participation from the private sector including foreign investment for production
of milk and milk products in India.
MORE PDF TO DOWNLOAD :-
- Agro Meterology PDF Notes Download
- Soil Chemistry, Soil Fertility & Nutrient Management Pdf Book Download
- Weed Management Pdf Book Download
- Discount 80% IBPS SO Agriculutral Officer previous year solved papers 2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017 (6 years)
- Agronomy Notes Pdf Download
PLEASE SUPPORT US ON SOCIAL SITES
CONNECT US ON FACEBOOK MESSENGER
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM FOR REGULAR UPDATES:
FOLLOW OUR TELEGRAM CHENNEL: