India holds the first position in fruit production, Brazil holds the second position.
Largest acreage (42%) and production (40%).
• Some important varieties are Alphanso of Maharashtra, Bangnapalli of Andhra,Dashehari & Langra of UP Malda of W. Bengal.
• Largest hectereage of mango is in UP. Other important producing regions are Bihar (second largest producer) A.P., West Bengal, Orissa, T.N., Coastal Maharashtra.
India produces 11% of world banana, second and largest producer after Brazil.
• Main producing areas are T.N. (Tiruchi), Maharashtra (Jalgaon), Gujarat, M.P., S. Kerala.
Known as “Anab-e-Shahi”, its productivity is highest in India (85 tonnes/ha).
• Main producing area are Coorg district of Karnataka; Wynad in Kerala; Nilgiri in T.N.; Khasi, Jaintia and Lushai hills in Meghalaya; Pune, Nasik, Sholapur, Songli Ahmed nagar district of Maharashtra; Himachal Pradesh and Andhra.
Maharashtra cover 20% of total citrus area, Nagpur Mandarins is considerd to be best in the world. Other main districts are Amravati, Wardha and Vidarbha.
Among temperate fruits, it alone accounts for more than 50% of total production. NW Himalayan region covers 95% of total area and 85% of total production.
India holds the first position in the production.
• High productivity is achieved in Karnataka followed by Maharashtra.
Glimpse of Indian Horticulture
• India is endowed with a remarkably heterogeneous area characterized by a great diversity of agro climatic zones, allowing for production of a variety of horticultural crops – fruits, vegetables, flowers, spices, plantation crops, root and tuber crops, and medicinal and aromatic crops.
• Globally, second largest producer of fruits and vegetables.
• Largest producer of mango, banana, coconut, cashew, papaya, pomegranate etc.
• Largest producer and exporter of spices.
• Ranks first in productivity of grapes, banana, cassava, peas, papaya, etc.
• Export growth of fresh fruits and vegetables in term of value is 14% and of processed fruits and vegetables is 16.27%.
- Important Agriculture MCQ With Explanation for Competitive exam
- General Agriculture For IBPS AFO, NABARD and Competitive exam
- Plant Genetics Important Terms For Competitive Exam
- Important Agriculture One Liner For Competitive Exam
- General Agriculture 2017-18 For Agriculture Competitive Exams IBPS,NABARD,IRMA,JRF,ARS,SRF