Functions & Types of Forest in India
Function of forests:
1. Productive: They provide timer, fuel, charcoal, beedi , leaves, was and resins, fruits, tanning, materials, manure leaves, grass, bamboo, gums, lac etc.
2. Protective: Forests protect water sheds, catchments of rivers and streams against erosion.
3. Aesthatic: Forests add good appearance, landscaping and a thrilling atmosphere to the locality.
4. Recreational: Forest provides picnic resorts and opportunities for sport like hiking, trekking, wild life watching, bird watching.
5. Scientifc: Study of ecological process can be made
6. Ameliorative: Forests improve climate and reduce pollution
7.Hygienic: Forests improve the environment and help in reduction of noise, purify the air and give out oxygen to the atmosphere.
8. Industrial developments: Forest meet the need for raw material for industrial development such as Paper pups, rayon grade pulp, saw milk ply wood, hard board etc.
Forest types of Indian:
1. Tropical wt ever green forest
2. Tropical semi evergreen forest
3. Tropical moist deciduous forests (Southern and northern types)
4. Littoral and Swamp forests
5. Tropical dry deciduous forest
6. Tropical thorn forest
7. Tropical dry ever green forest
8. Sub tropical broad leaved hill forest
9. Sub tropical dry evergreen forest
10.Mountain wet temperate forest
11. Himalayan moist temperature forest
12. Sub alpine forest
13. Himalayan dry temperate forest
14. Sub alpine forest
15.Most alpine scrub
16. Dry alpine
The above types are called natural ecosystems. Ecosystems are the natural climax forests, resulting from a long process of ecological succession of plants and associated animals life, undisturbed by man.