2. AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT
3. NON-FOOD CROPS
5. SOIL DEGRADATION
6. PRIMARY ACTIVITIES
7. SUBSISTENCE AGRICULTURE
1. PRIMARY ACTIVITIES include all those connected with extraction and production of natural resources.
2. SECONDARY ACTIVITIES are concerned with the processing of these resources.
3. Agriculture is a primary activity. It includes growing crops, fruits, vegetables, flowers and rearing of livestock.
4. The land on which the crops are grown is known as arable land
5. SERICULTURE commercial rearing of silk worms. it may supplement the income of the farmer.
6. Agriculture The science and art of cultivation on the soil, raising crops and rearing livestock. It is also called farming
7. PISCICULTURE breeding of fish in specially constructed tanks and ponds
8. VITICULTURE cultivation of grapes.
9. HORTICULTURE growing vegetables, flowers and fruits for commercial use.
TYPES OF FARMING
1. These are subsistence farming and commercial farming
2. ORGANIC FARMING in this type of farming, organic manure and natural pesticides are used instead of chemicals. no genetic modification is done to increase the yield of the crop.
3. INTENSIVE SUBSISTENCE AGRICULTURE the farmer cultivates a small plot of land using simple tools and more labour.
4. PRIMITIVE SUBSISTENCE AGRICULTURE includes shifting cultivation and nomadic herding.
5. SHIFTING CULTIVATION is known by different names in different parts of the WORLD
INDIA MILPA-MEXICO ROCA- BRAZIL. LADANG- MALAYSIA
6. Shifting cultivation is practised in the thickly forested areas of Amazon basin, tropical Africa, parts of
SOUTHEAST ASIA AND NORTHEAST INDIA.
7. NOMADIC HERDING is practised in the semi-arid and arid regions of sahara, central asia and some parts of india, like rajasthan and jammu and kashmir.
8. Herdsmen move from place to place with their animals for fodder and water,
9. In commercial grain farming crops are grown for commercial purpose. Wheat and maize are common commercially grown grains.
Temperate grasslands of North America
Europe and Asia.
Severe winters restrict the growing season and only a single crop can be grown.