Genetics One Liner
● The related incident caused due to the effect of genes or on change of lives is called genetic.
● The Science of origin of variation and pedigree of characters ( transmission in off-springs from parents) in lives or living organisms, i.e., that Science of Biology, wherein, the study of genetically and variation, is called Genetics.
● The purification of (or free from) seeds from weeds, other crops seeds and the seeds of variety of same crop, is called as Genetic Purity of seed.
● Such a gene, that creates mutation in other genes, e.g.; Jm gene of maize; is called genetic mutation.
● Those small parts, wherein gene can be redivided (e.g., Cistron, Muton and Recon), is called genetic micro-structure. (Genetics One Liner)
● The classification group i.e., above the species and below the family; The first step (word) of bi-nomial-nomenclature, is called Genus.
● In meiosis, some difference is caused in structure; called as ‘Asynapsis’.
● The number of such micro-organisms, those have similar genetical characters, but have differences in body activity characters, is called ‘Biotype’.
● ‘Protogyny’ is that “stigna matures first i.e., before mature of another of any flower”
● The cross of a ‘F1’ generation with such a strain that is homozygous for recessive alleles of related gene/ or genes, is called ‘Test Cross’. Or when the cross of ‘F1’ hybrid is made with recessive parent. (Test cross = F1 × Recessive Parent)(Genetics One Liner)
● If more than 2 copies of a single genome in any plant/ crop/ animal are present, that is called ‘Antopoly ploidy’.
● National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR), New Delhi has started the research work at various centres viz. Ranchi, Bhowali, Cuttack, Shimla, Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim for increasing the productivity of crops; so that it can help to maintain the Agro-biodiversity and genetic base.
● For the collection of various germplasms and for genetic work, research work is being carried-out at IRRI (Phillipines), CMMYT (Mexico), AVRDC (Taiwan), ICARDA (Syria), USDA (USA) etc.
● For plant/bio-diversity, Mission Mode Project—NATP(National Agricultural Technology Project) was started in the country on 16 July, 1999. (Genetics One Liner)
● In early, ‘Principles of Heridity’ was explained by Mendel (Gregor John Mendel) and as observed by hybridization on garden pea plants. He also presented ‘Law of Mendel’, based on the research paper experiments in plant hybridization.
● ‘Principles of Genetics’ was named as ‘Mendelism’ by Mendel.
● Rhizobium bacteria are found in root nodules of legume plants viz. gram, pea, pigeonpea, greengram, blackgram etc. and fix the atmospheric nitrogen through symbiotic nitrogen fixation.
● ‘Apogamy’—is the development of synergid or antipodal cells in embryo without fertilization. (Genetics One Liner)
● Bifffin (1921) reported the resistance of stem rust in wheat-as recessive and monogenic control.
● The ‘World Food Prize’—also known as ‘Nobel Prize for Food’ for the year 2000, was jointly awarded to Dr. Surinder, K. Vasal (Plant Geneticist) and Dr. Iwangelina Villegas (Bio-Chemist) of Mexco; those have developed Miracle Maize (Corn) having excess of protein and said to be the quality protein maize (QPM); on 16 October World Food Day, occassion. The developed QPM germplasm through the co-ordination of Cereal Chemistry and Plant Breeding Techniques.
● ‘World Food Prize’ (Nobel Prize for Food) has been awarded earlier to several Indian Scientists, namely; In 1987, for the first time to Indian Scientist Dr. M.S. Swaminathan, this Nobel Prize was awarded for his contribution to bring ‘Green Revolution’ in India. He developed high yield varieties (HYV’s) of wheat and rice. This ‘Nobel Prize’ was given to Dr. V.G. Kurien, Ex-Director, NDDB, Anand (Gujarat) in the year 1989 for achieving ‘White Revolution’ in the country i.e., in milk production and/ or ‘Operation Flood’. The ‘Nobel Prize’ was credited to Dr. Gurdev Khush and Dr. Hennary Vichail in the year 1996 for developing such varieties and genetic lines, those have doubled the rice production in last 30 years, in the world. It was awarded to B.R. Barwale, Mahyco Company, in the year 1998, for making private seed industry sector and this company is producing today the good varieties/ seeds (vegetables/ cereals/ oilseeds etc.) (Genetics One Liner)
● The word ‘Genetics’ was given by Bateson in the year 1905.
● Dr. M.S. Swaminathan was honoured as a ‘Millennium Prize’ by Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 88th National Science Congress on 3-7 January, 2001 held at IARI, New Delhi.
● In Rapeseed-Mustard group, three hybrids of Indian mustard (B. juncea) appeared higher yielders, namely; HB-501, HB-502 and HB506. And ‘YRN-6’ mustard was identified in NRC-M(ICAR) 12th workshop (11-13 Aug. 2005).
● TERI-Unnat, TERI-Uttam (Br. juncea), Hyola-402 (Br. napus) varities of rapeseed mustard showed low glucosinolate (> 30 μ mole/g free fat meal/cake) and Erucic acid (< 2%), say. Double Zero (0-0) quality, oil not harmful to human health and cake to animals also.(Genetics One Liner)
- Genetics One Liner For Competitive exam-1
- Fruit Crop Cultivation One Liner For Competitive exam-1
- Agrometeorology One Liner For Competitive exam-2
- General Agriculture One Liner For Competitive exam-54
- General Horticulture One Liner For Competitive exam-1