IMPORTANCE OF HORTICULTURE CROPS
The importance of horticulture crops can be enunciated by studying the following points;
1. Horticulture crops contributes to the national income :(Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
The main contribution of horticulture crops is to increase the national income. It also increases foreign exchange earning achieved through the export of produce.
2. High production per unit area: (Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
A horticulture crops give very high production per unit area as compared to cereals and pulses crops. In horticulture crops inter-crops are also taken during initial years of cultivation. For example agronomic crops like Rice gives 4.3 t/ha yield, Jowar give 4-5 t/ ha yield. Whereas horticulture crops like Mango gives 18-19 t/ha, Banana gives 30-35 t/ha and Tomato gives 50-60 t/ha.
3. Fruit and vegetables are “protective foods”: (Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
Fruit and vegetables have good source of vitamins and minerals, proteins and other substances which are needed for human body. viz,. Minerals like calcium, iron, phosphorus, etc. and vitamin such as A, B complex, C are in adequate quantity.
4. Source of income throughout the year: (Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
In vegetable crops, some of the vegetables are annual crops. Some vegetables give yield within month of planting/sowing, while crops like coconut give income throughout the year.
5. Best utilization of undulating and barren land: (Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
The horticulture fruit crops such as Cashewnut, Aonla, Ber, Mango, Tamarind, Jamun, Karonda, can be grown on undulating, barren/wastelands where agronomic crops cannot be grown on such land.
6. Utilization of dry land areas for fruit crops like ber, custard Apple, drumstick, aonla, jamun etc., can be utilized under low water availability.
7. No recurring expenditure: (Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
In the case of fruit crops, there is no recurring expenditure like layout of orchards every year encountered in the case of agronomic crops. There is no need to search planting material every year.
8. Industrial use: (Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
The Horticulture crops are used in various industries such as Coconut in Coir and toys industries, aonala, turmeric, alovera, clove in Medicinal industries, turmeric, alovera in Cosmetic industry, flower like jasmine, rose in perfumery industry and kokum juice, ginger, turmeric, mango Pulp, aonala, candy in Preservation industry:
9. Saving money: (Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
Horticulture crops are cultivated in kitchen garden. Thus, one can get a fresh supply of vegetables and save a considerable amount of money, besides being a source of creation and recreation.
10. Horticultural crops, especially the fruit crop reduce environment pollution and reduce soil erosion and help in increasing precipitation.
11. Fodder to cattle: (Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
During famine, leaves of some of the crops such as Tamarind, Aonala, Ber etc. are used as fodder.
12. Social Importance: (Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
Horticultural crops have a great social importance which can be described in the following points.(Importance Of Horticulture Crops)
a) Use in religious functions: eg. Coconut, Turmaric, Arecanut, Flowers of various kinds, Betalvine etc.
b) Symbol of love affection and friendship: Flowers are used for express affection and decorating halls and welcoming function.
c) Determination of standard of living: Standard of living of the country can be determined by the per capita consumption of fruits and vegetables. In case of Japan has high consumption of vegetables.
d) Aesthetic value: The flowers, fruits trees and other ornamentals have considerable aesthetic value.
PLEASE SUPPORT US ON SOCIAL SITES
CONNECT US ON FACEBOOK MESSENGER
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM FOR REGULAR UPDATES
FOLLOW OUR TELEGRAM CHENNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR EMAIL LIST