Integration of two or more appropriate combination of enterprises like crop, dairy, piggery,
fishery, poultry, bee keeping etc., for each farm according to the availability of resources to sustain and satisfy the necessities of the farmer
Definition: A farming system is a collection of distinct functional units such as crop, livestock,
processing, investments and marketing activities which interact because of the joint use of inputs they receive from the environment which have the common objective of satisfying the farmers’ (decision makers) aims. The definition of the borders of the options depends on circumstances; often it includes not only the farm (economic enterprise) but also the household (farm – household system)”
Wetland based farming system
• Crop + Fish + Poultry/poultry/pigeon
• Crop + Fish + Mushroom
Gardenland based farming system
Crop + Dairy + Biogas
Crop + Dairy + Biogas + Sericulture
Crop + Dairy + Biogas + Mushroom + Sylvi-culture
Dry land based farming system
Crop + Goat + Agroforestry
Crop + Goat + Agroforestry + Horticulture
Benefits of IFS
- Higher Productivity
- Balanced food
- Recycling reduces pollution
- Money round the year
- Employment generation
- Increase input efficiency
- Standard of living of the farmer increased
- Better utilisation of land, labour, time and resources
Organic farming: Organic farming is a production system where all kinds of agricultural products are produced organically, including grains, meat, dairy, eggs, fibers such as cotton, flowers and processed food products. Organic farming avoids or largely excludes the use of synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, growth regulators and livestock feed additives.
Need & scope of organic farming
- Increase in awareness and health consciousness
- Global consumers are increasingly looking for organic food, which is considered safe, and
- The global prices of organic food are more lucrative and remunerative.
- The potential of organic farming is signified by the fact that the farm sector has abundant
organic nutrient resources like livestock, water, crop residue, aquatic weeds, forest litter,
urban, rural solid wastes and agro industries, bio-products.
- India offers tremendous scope for organic farming as it has local market potential for organic
Advantages of organic farming
- Nutrition – Improved soil health makes food dramatically superior in mineral content
- Poison-free – Free of contamination with health harming chemicals like pesticides,
fungicides and herbicides.
- Food tastes better
- Food keeps longer – can be stored longer
- Disease and pest resistance – because of healthy plants
- Weed competitiveness – Healthier crops able to compete
- Lower input costs – No costly chemicals used, nutrients are created in-situ (in the farm)
- Drought resistance
- More profitable – Due to greater food value of organic produce consumers are willing to pay premium prices
Disadvantages of organic farming
- Productivity – Low productivity is often reported as the quantum nutrient used comparatively lower
- Labour intensive – Cultivation requires more labour especially for weed control
- Skill – requires considerable skill to farm organically Ex. Choice of alternatives for control
- Lack of convenience in management compared to easier management like fertilizer
application in conventional methods
Synonyms of organic farming
- Farming in relation to ecosystem.
- it has the potential for introducing mutually reinforcing ecological approaches to food
- It aims at the maintenance of soil chemically, biologically and physically the way nature
would do it left alone.
- Soil would then take proper care of plants growing on it.
- Feed the soil, not the plant is the watchword and slogan of ecological farming.
Farming in relation to biological diversity.
Farming which is biologically organic and ecologically sound and sustainable farming.
- General Agriculture MCQ With Explanation-73
- General Agriculture MCQ With Explanation-66
- Agriculture One Liner for Competitive Exam
- General Agriculture MCQ With Explanation-69
- General Agriculture MCQ With Explanation-65