List of Food Businesses falling under the purview of Central Licensing Authority
Either grant or reject the license within 60 days of receipt of completed application or within 30 days of inspection————- Cancellation (No Improvement) Fresh application after 90 days must be filed
• Dairy units including milk chilling units equipped to handle or process more than 50 thousand litres of liquid milk/day or 2500 MT of milk solid per annum.
• Vegetable oil processing units and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit having installed capacity of more than 2 MT per day
• All slaughter houses equipped to slaughter more than 50 large animals or 150 or more small animals including sheep and goats or 1000 or more poultry birds per day
• Meat processing units equipped to handle or process more than 500 kg of meat per day or 150 MT per annum
• All food processing units other than mentioned under (i) to (iv) including relabellers and re-packers having installed capacity of more than 2 MT/day except grains, cereals and pulses milling units
• 100 % Export Oriented Units
• All Importers importing food items for commercial use
• All Food Business Operators manufacturing any article of Food ingredients or substances or using technologies or processes or combination thereof whose safety has not been established through these regulations or which do not have a history of safe use or food containing ingredients which are being introduced for the first time into the country. (They need to apply for product approval at FSSAI HQ separately before applying for license)
• FBOs operating in two or more states as per their capacity/turnover required for central licensing
• Other Food Business Operators (storage, distributors, wholesalers, retailers, etc. and hotel establishments including 5 stars and above)
• Food catering services in establishments and units under Central Government Agencies like Railways, Air and Airport, Seaport, Defence, etc.