Management of pearl millet diseases
Removal of ergot / sclerotia to prevent primary infection
Dissolve 1 kg of common salt in 10 litres of water. Drop the seeds into the salt solution. Remove the ergot and sclerotia affected seeds which will float. Wash seeds in fresh water 2 or 3 times to remove the salt on the seeds. Dry the seeds in shade. Treat the seeds with Thiram @ 2g /kg of seed. Treat the seeds with Metalaxyl 6g/kg for the control of downy mildew in endemic areas.
Downy Mildew: Sclerospora graminicola
- Grow downy mildew resistant varieties CO7, WCC 75, CO(Cu)9,
- TNAU-Cumbu Hybrid-CO9 Transplanting reduces disease incidence. At the time of planting infected seedlings should be removed.
- In the direct sown crop, infested plants should be removed up to 45 days of sowing as and when the symptoms are noticed.
- Spray any one of the fungicides
- Metalaxyl + Mancozeb @500 g or Mancozeb 1000g/ha
Rust: Puccinia penniseti
Sowing during December – May result in less incidence.
Adopt control measures when there is rust incidence in the early stages as spread of infection to top leaves results in poor grain filling
Spray any one of the following fungicides when the initial symptoms of the diseases are noticed.
- Wettable sulphur 2500g / ha
- Mancozeb 1000g/ha
- Repeat application 10 days after if necessary.
Sugary or Ergot disease:
Claviceps fusiformis Spray any one of the fungicides like Carbendazim 500g or Mancozeb 1000g /ha when 5 – 10% flowers have opened and again at 50% flowering stage.
- Soil Science One Liner For Competitive exam-3
- Important Agriculture MCQ With Explanation for Competitive exam
- Soil Science One Liner For Competitive exam -4
- Agriculture Meteorology One Liner for Competitive exam-2
- Agriculture MCQ Important for IBPS AFO, NABARD and Competitive exam