Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY)
PMKSY was started in August, 2015 with an outlay of Rs.50,000 crores for a period of 5 years (2015-16 to 2019-20) to achieve convergence of investments in irrigation at the field level.
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) has been formulated amalgamating ongoing schemes viz. Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation; Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) of Department of Land Resources (Ministry of Rural Development); and On Farm Water Management (OFWM) component of National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA) of Department of Agriculture and Cooperation.
All the States and Union Territories including North Eastern States are covered under the programme.
PMKSY funds would be given to states as 75% grant by the central government and the remaining 25% share is to be borne by the state government.
For north-eastern region and hilly states, the funding pattern would be 90:10.
The primary objectives of PMKSY are to:
1. attract investments in irrigation system at field level,
2. develop and expand cultivable land in the country,
3. enhance ranch water use in order to minimize wastage of water,
4. enhance crop per drop by implementing water-saving technologies and precision irrigation. The National Steering Committee (NSC) of PMKSY under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Prime Minister, will provide policy direction to programme framework and a National Executive Committee (NEC) under the chairmanship of Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog will oversee the programme implementation at national level.
Framework for PMKSY:
Decentralised state-level planning and execution, in order to allow States to draw up a District Irrigation Plan (DIP) and a State Irrigation Plan (SIP)
Plans will integrate three components namely,water sources, distribution network and water use application of the district.
All structures created under the schemes will be geotagged.
The state agriculture department would be the nodal agency for implementation of PMKSY projects PMKSY projects would be scrutinised by the State Level Project Screening Committee (SLPSC) and sanctioned by the State Level Sanctioning Committee, which is already set under Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana.
A state will become eligible to access PMKSY funds only if it has prepared the district irrigation plans and state irrigation plans and sustained an increasing expenditure trend in irrigation sector in state plan.
Components of PMKSY
Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP)
PMKSY (Har Khet ko Pani)
PMKSY (Per Drop More Crop)
PMKSY (Watershed Development) In Union Budget 2017-18, Rs.3050 crore has been allocated under this programme. Union Government has signed a loan agreement with World Bank for the Neeranchal National Watershed Project to improve watershed management in rural rainfed areas. The loan credit will support the watershed activities of the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) in selected sites in 9 states. These states are Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Jharkhand, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and Rajasthan. Key facts World Bank will provide loan of US$ 178.50 million with a maturity of 25 years, including a 5 year grace period.
On January, 2016, The loan has been sanctioned by the World Bank’s concessionary lending arm International Development Association (IDA). It will give impetus to longstanding partnership between the World Bank and Union Government in the watershed management. On October, 2016, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned loan worth Rs. 19,702 crore to National Water Development Agency (NWDA). The loan will be provided through NABARD’s Long Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF) for 50 irrigation projects from 11 States.
- World Fisheries Day
- National Mission on Agriculture Extension and Technology (NMAET)
- Agricultural Related Question For Competitive Examination
- What is Blue Green, Green Water and Grey Water
- PRADHAN MANTRI FASAL BIMA YOJANA (PMFBY) Pdf Download