- The word “Extension” was first time used in Britain in 1840 in the form of “University Extension” or “Extension of the University”. In 1850, William Sewell of Britain used it in his report entitled “suggestions for the extension of the university”.
- But, this word was first used in a practical way by James Stuart of Trinity College, Cambridge University in 1867-68, when he was addressing “Women Association and Working Men’s Clubs” of North England.
- Again in 1871, he appealed to the officials of the Cambridge University to establish extension centres under the supervision of university, so that these centres can be used as a platform to deliver lecture to the people. His effort in this field was responsible for him being called “Father of University Extension”.
- In a formal way, Cambridge University in 1873, London University in 1876 and Oxford University in 1878 developed extension system, which worked among people. In 1880, his work came to be known as “Extension movement” .
- In other words, the word ‘Extension’ is used in the context which signifies an out of school system of education.” In 1862 President Roosevelt established a “county commission” under the chairmanship of Liverty Hydevelle. Its objectives were:
(i) How to stop migration of rural people to cities?
(ii) How to engage rural people in agricultural and rural development programmes?
- Meaning of Extension Education: Various Scientists have defined the term “Extension” according to their interest, experience and training. This term was first used in a customary way in U.S.A. Afterwards it was used by many countries. Extension education is used in various fields, such as Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Dairy, Veterinary, Health, Home Science, Industry, Cooperative and Forestry.
- Now, Extension Education is included in the syllabus of Graduate and Post-Graduate classes. Therefore, it is necessary to understand basic concept of Extension Education for those who are associated with it in some way or the other. To fully understand the nature of extension education, it is important to study various definitions given by different scholars.